lovetoreadforfun

Love To Read For Fun

Finding romance, one book at a time.

A Perfect Storm (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #4)

A Perfect Storm - Lori Foster 2.5 starsWhen we met Arizona Storm in the previous book, Savor the Danger, I wasn't sure if her character would be able to carry an entire novel. Because what Arizona has been through, she's defensive, emotionally scarred and distant. I knew that I would easily feel sympathy for Arizona but couldn't see her in the role of the romantic heroine.A Perfect Storm is different from the previous books in the series in that I felt it was more character driven and centered around Spencer and Arizona's relationship than actual suspense. I felt that the suspense aspect was liking and didn't feel the rush and danger like in previous books. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I prefer my rom suspense to be heavy on the romance (60/40) but it only works if you buy into the romance. For me, I could not get into Spencer and Arizona's romantic relationship. This is completely my own hang up but the age difference really bothered me. It bothered to the point that even though Spencer's character is a good and honorable guy, it felt skeevy to me. Even though Arizona is 21 (Spencer is 32), Arizona is very immature. After she was rescued by Jackson from the human traffickers, she was sent to a boarding school. Arizona is smart but when she opens her mouth, she sounds like a teen. I think it would have been better for me if her behavior as a whole was more mature despite her age. Then the 11 year age difference wouldn't have bothered me...much.As much as I wanted to put the age difference out of my head and just enjoy the story, I could not. Like I said, Arizona's dialog is very immature and even though she can kick ass with the best of them, she is still an inexperience woman. Her sexual experiences are not the best and to me, to introduce sex with Spencer, despite the mutual attraction, felt wrong. The romance as a whole just felt wrong. This is the one time where I wished the story was more suspense than romance. Because at times, reading the sex scenes, I felt icky myself. And it didn't help that Dare, Trace and Spencer and the gang treated Arizona like a kid sister. For example, pulling on her ponytail and calling her brat. It also bothered me that they were ok with Spencer's sexual interest in her despite knowing Arizona's background. I would have thought that Jackson would beat Spencer's ass if he caught Spencer looking at Arizona sideways. Nope. Didn't happen.I enjoyed revisiting the characters from the previous books and getting caught up with their lives. Chris Dare's man about the house, is always a hilarious treat as he tells it likes it is and sees what others don't.A Perfect Storm is a good read if you are not turned off by the age difference. The book is wholly focused on Arizona and Spencer's journey. But for me, as much as I tried to put it out of my mind and enjoy the story for what it is, I couldn't. I think instead of sexing it up with Spencer to get past her fears and to confront her past, she should have had intense therapy instead.